- Mainz unbeaten in six matches against Augsburg.
- In-form visitors with two wins so far in 2017.
- Hosts have just two points from last 12 available.
FC Augsburg are looking to extend their winning streak to three consecutive games when they travel to an off-colour 1. FSV Mainz 05 side for the Matchday 20 opener on Friday evening (kick-off 20:30CET/19:30GMT).
The 05ers have slipped down to 13th in the table after taking just two points from their first three Bundesliga outings this calendar year. Last week's 4-0 loss to TSG 1899 Hoffenheim made for difficult viewing, but coach Martin Schimdt will be eager for his charges to make amends at home to ensure the six-point gap to the relegation zone does not get any smaller.
The mood is rather different in the Augsburg camp, where back-to-back wins for the first time in 2016/17 have lifted them to tenth - higher than at any point this season. The upswing has coincided with the return of talismanic striker Raul Bobadilla, whose last-gasp effort earned Die Függerstädter a dramatic victory against SV Werder Bremen last weekend.
- Augsburg are fresh from winning back-to-back games for the first time this season.
- Raul Bobadilla scored his first Bundesliga goal against Mainz on 28 August 2009, whilst playing for Borussia Mönchengladbach.
- Augsburg have never lost a match in which they have taken the lead this term, whereas Mainz have lost three.
- Mainz are unbeaten in their last six against Augsburg (W5, D1), scoring 18 goals - at least two per game.
- There has never been a goalless draw between the two sides.
- Mainz's Andre Ramalho and Augsburg's Martin Hinteregger played together at FC Salzburg for three years, winning the domestic double in 2014 and 2015.