- Wolfsburg set for first game under new head coach Valerien Ismael.
- Schalke unbeaten in nine in all competitions.
- Wolves winless at home so far, Royal Blues likewise on the road.
The Wolves secured their first victory under Ismael on the last matchday as they won 3-0 at SC Freiburg thanks to two goals from Mario Gomez. Ismael was handed the job full time on the back of that result, which saw them move out of the relegation play-off place with just their second win of the season.
Schalke also endured a difficult start to their campaign but have stood by their new coach Markus Weinzierl. Following defeats in their opening five games of the campaign, the Royal Blues have started to turn their season around and Matchday 10's 3-1 win at home to SV Werder Bremen made it nine games unbeaten, including five in the league.
- VfL Wolfsburg ended an eight-match winless run at Freiburg, their first victory since Matchday 1.
- Schalke have won more points in the last five matches than league leaders FC Bayern München.
- The Wolves are without a win in their first five home games of a Bundesliga season for the first time.
- Mario Gomez bagged his 26th Bundesliga brace at Freiburg. Only Claudio Pizarro and Robert Lewandowski have more amongst current players.
- Schalke have won just one of their last 13 visits to Wolfsburg.
- Long-time Wolfsburg defender Naldo returns to his former club for the first time since his move to Schalke. The Brazilian spent four seasons at the heart of the Wolves’ defence, making 125 Bundesliga appearances for the Lower Saxony club.