Football has long been played on the grounds that now host the glücksgas stadion, home of SG Dynamo Dresden. Indeed, one of the earliest references to the national game in German literature is a newspaper report from 1874 on a group of English ex-pats - the Dresden English Football Club - playing a game "in which balls are propelled forward with the feet" on the city's Güntzwiesen.
By the time Dynamo Dresden arose in the early 1950s - and then re-arose after the entire team was posted to the capital in 1954 to form Dynamo Berlin - the club's home base was the Rudolf-Harbig Stadion, constructed after the war on the rubble of its predecessor, the Ilgen Kampfbahn. Between 1970 and 1991, it was relabelled the Dynamo Stadion - Rudolf Harbig having been a world record-breaking middle distance runner from Dresden whose personal c.v. did not match the requirements of the governing East German communist party.
During this period, Dynamo were at the very forefront of the game in East Germany and renowned throughout Europe. In the wake of the country's reunification in 1990, and with Dresden now playing in the Bundesliga, the stadium was given a minor overhaul to bring it up to German FA (DFB) and FIFA standards.
The club's fortunes out on the pitch then went into a steep decline but by the mid-2000s they had stabilised somewhat again. Even though Dynamo were still operating at Third Division level, construction of a new, dedicated stadium began at the behest of the city council in late 2007, with some parts of the existing structure kept intact. Two years later, on 15 September 2009, it was officially unveiled with a friendly against Schalke 04. At the end of 2010, the Bavarian energy concern Glücksgas acquired the naming rights on an initial five-year deal - by the end of which timeframe Dynamo Dresden hope to be established once again as a force to be reckoned with in the German game.